Smoke Alarms Malfunction, Woman Dies In Apartment Fire
Woman Dies After Smoke Alarms Fail to Sound
The American Red Cross reports that an estimated 890 lives could be saved each year if all homes had working smoke alarms. One of those lives was taken after smoke alarms failed to sound and alert the resident of a fire in her apartment complex. She attempted to escape, but could not do so with flames and smoke engulfing the apartment. Instead, she became trapped in her bathroom and clawed at the walls until she eventually died. Neighbors reported hearing noises of struggle from the apartment as the woman screamed and scene photos show crumbling drywall from her clawing. Her family contacted a local attorney to hold the apartment complex responsible for their negligence in providing functional smoke detectors.
For the liability portion of the suit, the attorney employed an expert to testify to the fact that the management company failed to upkeep the smoke alarms. However, damages proved to be more difficult. DK Global created a 3D model of the apartment's layout to familiarize the viewer with the decedent’s home. In addition to the layout, DK Global also produced a dramatization of the incident for mediation purposes. Both of these elements contributed to understanding the pain and terror the decedent experienced as a result of the fire. With visuals that inspire empathy, the Plaintiff's attorney could rest assured that his clients would receive fair compensation for their loss.
Although the facts and outcomes presented in this email are intended to be true and accurate, they represent the reporting of a unique matter and do not imply or guarantee any type of result or outcome for matters in which DK Global is involved.